No better day than today, Thanksgiving to those of us from America, to give thanks. What exactly am I grateful for? Where to begin… When I think back to my first year in Paris, feasting at a faux American restaurant in the rive gauche with people I barely knew, feeling lost and less than grateful to be dining on what tasted like a microwave turkey meal. Three years later I am dining in style with close friends, as I do many nights. Thus begins my list of gratitude. Something we should all be mindful of, all year long.
1. good friends (I’ve even made a few French girlfriends, not an easy feat!)
2. a doting and darling Italian (even with my moods… perhaps this should be #1)
3. my ever supportive and loving mom (what would I do without her!)
4. the ability to communicate in foreign tongues (particularly the French one!)
5. a creative mind (which has allowed me to create my life, via blogging, designing, doing)
6. limitless supplies of culture in many forms (THIS is what makes me thrive in Paris)
7. travel (forever grateful to see the world!)
8. the ability (and courage) to follow my dreams
9. good health (the older I get the more I value well-being)
10. optimism (something I brought with me from the USA)
And so much more. I will remind myself of this list and continue to add to it, in moments of doubt or difficulty. Now time to celebrate life and friendship with a grand feast, American style!
Happy Thanksgiving tout le monde!