One year ago I left everything and everyone that had composed my life for nearly 12 years, and moved from NYC to Paris. I remember the moments leading to this day so well. The great anticipation mixed with nostalgia. The fear outweighed by excitement. I never once doubted or questioned my decision, and one year later I feel even more confident having followed my heart.
The journey has been an insightful and often difficult one. As anyone living an expat life well knows, in Paris or anywhere. (I will refrain from getting into details, but oh the stories I could tell…)
Here are my top 10 ‘rules to live by’, based on what I have learned thus far. In no particular order.
1. let go of expectations (or prepare to be disappointed)
2. learn humility (perhaps the most important lesson of all)
3. follow your instincts (trust yourself completely)
4. laugh at yourself whenever possible (otherwise you might cry)
5. learn the language to know the people and culture (still working on that…)
6. indulge guilt-free in the pleasure of local food and drink (without over-indulging)
7. take time to discover yourself (outside the context of work)
8. don’t be driven solely by the ego (period.)
9. appreciate the simple pleasures (never take them for granted)
10. follow your dreams (and believe in them)